The Italian swept through to take the chequered flag for his first win in 117 starts.
The Briton will be stand-in driver for Fernando Alonso at Monaco GP
Formula One has put almost half its staff on furlough until the end of May due to the novel coronavirus with chairman Chase Carey and senior management also taking a pay cut, an F1 spokesman said on Tuesday. Sources said those on furlough were mainly employees whose work was focused on race weekend activities and who could not carry out duties remotely. The Liberty Media-owned company employs in excess of 500 people.
Australia was given a new date of Nov. 21 for the race in Melbourne.
Germany's Nick Heidfeld was second for Williams with Australian team mate Mark Webber third for his first podium finish.
The Formula One season has yet to start and the race at the southern circuit is the 10th to be affected by the new coronavirus.
Formula One's governing body approved a proposal to switch the date of next year's Monaco Grand Prix to May 16 on Wednesday but left a question mark over the Canadian and British races.
Monaco has thrown up surprises before, witness Frenchman Olivier Panis' 1996 victory for Ligier, and remains unpredictable.
Indian magnate Vijay Mallya refuses to let the global credit crunch cramp his style, even if other high rollers may be keeping a lower profile at this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix.
Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel took pole position for the Monaco Grand Prix on Saturday after a qualifying session overshadowed by a serious accident involving Mexican Sergio Perez.
It was Ferrari's first pole in Monaco since Michael Schumacher in 2000.
Monaco has signed a 10-year contract extension for its Grand Prix only weeks after Formula One's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone suggested the sport could live without the showcase race.
'It is clear that McLaren's actions during the 2007 Monaco Grand Prix were entirely legitimate and no further action is necessary,' the FIA said on its web site.
His British team mate Lewis Hamilton will start alongside on an all-McLaren front row, with Ferrari's Felipe Massa qualifying third.
Germany's Nico Rosberg won Formula One's showcase Monaco Grand Prix for Mercedes on Sunday, 30 years after his world champion father Keke triumphed on the streets of the Mediterranean principality.
Giancarlo Fisichella came agonisingly close to scoring Force India's maiden Formula One points before eventually finishing ninth, while his German teammate Adrian Sutil placed 14th in the Monaco Grand Prix in Monte Carlo on Sunday. For the second successive year, Force India experienced heartbreak at Monaco, as Fisichella, running eighth after 53 laps, dropped down and finished just outside the points bracket.
Although Ralf Schumacher, last year's pole-setter in a Williams, qualified second fastest the German lost 10 places on the grid after having an engine replaced on Thursday.
Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton revived memories of last year's glories Thursday with his most competitive showing yet this season in Monaco Grand Prix practice. The 24-year-old Briton, who won in Monaco last year but has struggled with an under-performing McLaren in the first five races of 2009, was third fastest in the morning session and second in the afternoon.
In the interests of better visibility, teams were told last month they could fix mirrors to the halo head protection device that encircles the cockpit and that became mandatory this season.
Kimi Raikkonen slips into an ice car specially designed to mark the 40th anniversary of McLaren Mercedes
Formula One was accused of sending out a mixed message on alcohol at the Monaco Grand Prix on Friday by giving extensive publicity to drinks brands while campaigning for road safety.
Sauber's Mexican rookie Sergio Perez looked certain to miss Sunday's showcase Monaco Grand Prix after crashing heavily in qualifying and being taken to hospital.
The team blamed driver error for the accident with 22-year-old Hamilton braking late and spearing into the tyre wall at Sainte Devote.
Sunday's showcase Monaco Grand Prix could be the most open in years, even if Formula One championship leader Jenson Button will still be very much the man to beat. The Briton, a Monaco resident, has won four of the season's five races and will feel completely at home on the Mediterranean principality's tight and twisting streets.
Lewis Hamilton has made his move before the start of the Formula One season and can now call Monaco a home race as well as his favourite Grand Prix.
A rare milestone beckons Force India driver Giancarlo Fisichella as the Italian is all set to make his 200th Formula One appearance when he hits the track at the Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday.
Charles Leclerc won the US Grand Prix in a Ferrari one-two with Carlos Sainz on Sunday as Formula One championship leader Max Verstappen dealt Lando Norris a significant setback in their title battle.
Words and hats may have to be eaten along with the usual canapes and caviar if Lewis Hamilton wins the glamour race of the Formula One season in Monaco this weekend.
Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel took his fifth victory in six races when he won a crash-hit Monaco Grand Prix thriller for Red Bull on Sunday.
Australian Mark Webber won the showcase Monaco Grand Prix for champions Red Bull on Sunday as Formula One celebrated an unprecedented six different winners in six races so far this season.
Karun Chandhok hailed Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix as one of his best races yet, despite running over a rival's steering wheel and then crashing out with a car skimming his helmet.
FIA said it is looking into incidents involving the Mercedes-powered team 'in light of a possible breach of the International Sporting Code'.
A glaring error by Ferrari denied Charles Leclerc the chance to shine at home, with the 21-year-old failing to make it through the first phase and qualifying only 16th after going fastest in final practice.